Pages

Tuesday 30 June 2015

Lucy McSpirit



I saw Lucy's work a while ago and just fell in love with her picture of Macy (below) and the flowers that she paints.

Macy, isn't that a beautiful picture

Lucy has drawn for as long as she can remember and is her absolute passion. She used to enter art competitions at school, winning art trophies along the way. Then after getting A* GCSE (UK end of normal school exams) Lucy went on to study Graphic Design at Blackburn College here in England. The course explored a wide range of creative medium such as: Printmaking, Photography, Life Drawing and Visual Arts.

From College Lucy went on to Stockport College to do a BA (Hons) in Design and Visual Arts.

After College Lucy got a job as a Design Account Manager and as time went on 
and life was busy she didn't really do a lot of art. After 7 years and becoming pregnant Lucy decided to brush off her old art materials and began painting again. Her partner helped her rediscover her passion and love for art. 


I asked Lucy where she finds her inspiration:

Lucy: “ I use the garden as a lot of my inspiration, I find life so full of chaos people really don't stop to admire the beauty of nature that is right here on our doorstep. I find flowers incredibly beautiful and trees so fascinating. Hence a lot of my artwork revolves around that theme'

I love Lucy's floral art, flowers are a huge passion of mine and I really think Lucy captures these beautifully.  Especially the Lily, lillies are one of my favourite flowers.



Lucy has now found herself doing a lot of bespoke orders, family trees and murals (the fairy mural is beautiful – such detail).  A brilliant idea that Lucy had are her Colour Me In Rolls, brilliant for school summer holiday, lots of beautiful images, drawn by Lucy on a long roll to be coloured in that will keep children entertained for hours.






Colour-Me-In-Rolls, as a child I'd have been lost in that for days... infact never mind as a child, I'd love to get colouring this Alice in Wonderland Colour-Me-In-Roll.


So lets meet Lucy...

Please tell us your name, where you're from and how old you are?

Lucy McSpirit born in Preston but live in Lytham, 34 yrs

Tell us about your art now and what you do

Lucy : I currently provide a bespoke service, creating personalised gifts for people such as family trees and colour-me-in rolls for art party's with occasional portraits and paintings to suit ones home.

What is your earliest creative memory?

Lucy: I remember drawing a winter picture of children in the snow with snowballs and snowmen. I think my mum still has this picture! I was 5.

Do you ever suffer from a creative block and if so how do you get yourself out of it?

Lucy: Not so much a block but my mood can alter my focus, if I begin to draw and things aren't going my way, I take a break and come back to it. I want things to be right not rushed.

Who inspires you?

Lucy: My children inspire me, they are fascinated with everything I do and my daughter is always wanting to colour in my art party things. They love sharing their ideas. My partner Marc also inspires me, he's full of ideas of where I could go with my artwork and different perspectives are always inspiring. But nature is a big inspiration as I feel life is so chaotic people don't stop to appreciate the natural beauty surrounding us like flowers and trees. I love nothing more than soaking in the seasons and what beauty they provide us with.

What is your favourite piece of work that you've created?

Lucy: I'll always love my red poppy, it was my first painting I produced after many years of being in 'creative hiding' so to speak so has a lot of heart in it. My painting of Macy my daughter is also close to my heart. The family trees are a close favourite as I love illustrating with ink and the medium illustrates the beauty of a tree perfectly.

What are your creative ambitions for the future?

Lucy: I'm hoping to broaden my ideas with personalised gifts as I really enjoy it especially with how rewarding it is when I see the clients happy response to their gift they intend to give someone.

How do you silence your inner critic ?

Lucy: I'll always tell myself to judge it at the end. I think art can change a lot throughout the process and usually tell myself to just wait for the outcome once complete. You just know when it's 'finished' and 'ready' it's a gut instinct thing I guess.

What do you do when you're not being creative?

Lucy: I love gardening, baking cakes, going to restaurants and spending as much time as possible with my beautiful family.

Thank you Lucy for taking the time to answer my questions and allowing me to share your beautiful work.
If you'd like to check out Lucy's work you can find it at: 







No comments:

Post a Comment